[Chicago] weekly hangout: Oct 23, Thurs 6:30

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Wed Oct 22 02:33:47 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:45:14PM -0500, Cosmin Stejerean wrote:
> Given my track record for attending anything in Ravenswood I'm +1 for
> doing this closer to the loop.

> On Oct 21, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Jordan Sherer wrote:
>> I second that.

>> On Oct 21, 2008, at Oct 21   4:29 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> If there's any way we could make this closer to the loop, I could
>>> make it in.

Just wait, Carl's gonna have one in Rosemont one of these days!

No, I (2) was gonna say something serious.  This ain't an
equal-opportunity bike shed - this is Carl (and, mostly, a few others
who keep an ear out on #chipy) getting together where it's convenient
for them.  It's not really anything like an Official Chipy Function,
just a few like-minded consumers of beer and hamburgers who are so
gregarious that hey've invited all the rest of us to join them.

<coughs>  No, explicit really is better than implicit.  If you want to
get together for beer and burgers (1) in an area more to your liking,
what you do is:

1) pick a place
2) pick a time
3) post a message
4) ...
5) profit!!!

That's it.  No secret handhake is needed to join this club.  The budget
is what you've got on you.  The dream you fulfill may be your own.

Hey, reinventing the wheel is what Pythonistas *do*!  :-)

(1) burgers is sort of a standing joke, after the very first one of
these (or was it the second?) met for "beer & food" at a place where
"food" was not very food-like in the opinion of several hungry folks.
"Burgers" had been casually promised, but no burgers were to be had.
So now that's the tongue in cheek sine qua non of Carl's Getogethers.

(2) I have a pretty complete disinterst in these squabbles 'cause the
difference between the loop and Ravenswood is just about invisible from
out here in the middle of DuPage.  So I literally couldn't care less
where these big smelly city things happen.  But I've been the one being
complained at about "how come you never do it near me?" in the past,
and it still annoys me when people do that instead of doing the
obvious, easy, productive thing.  </vent>

--
...that obsessive conviction, so common among authors and composers,
that all similarities between their works and any others which appear