[Chicago] setuptools required?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 22:57:00 CET 2008

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion on how to automatically
download setuptools if its not available on the system.

What I have tried right now is to add ez_setup.py file to a source
folder and add a line

import ez_setup
ez_setup.main(['setuptools'])
...then regular setup.py stuff follows

this downloads and installs setuptools BUT the package that it
supposed to setup aka what is in setup.py is not setup correctly.
(unless I run the command second time)

So maybe somebody on this list knows how to get this working..
with the extra ez_setup stuff I get something like this:

Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.5/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
Searching for setuptools
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/setuptools/
Best match: setuptools 0.6c9
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.5/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg#md5=fe67c3e5a17b12c0e7c541b7ea43a8e6
Processing setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
Moving setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
Adding setuptools 0.6c9 to easy-install.pth file
Installing easy_install script to /usr/bin
Installing easy_install-2.5 script to /usr/bin

Installed /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
Processing dependencies for setuptools
Finished processing dependencies for setuptools
Processing setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
Removing /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
Copying setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
setuptools 0.6c9 is already the active version in easy-install.pth
Installing easy_install script to /usr/bin
Installing easy_install-2.5 script to /usr/bin

Installed /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c9-py2.5.egg
Processing dependencies for setuptools==0.6c9
Finished processing dependencies for setuptools==0.6c9
running install
running bdist_egg
running egg_info
writing requirements to someapp.egg-info/requires.txt
writing someapp.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to someapp.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to someapp.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
writing entry points to someapp.egg-info/entry_points.txt
error: None

There is no error and I have no idea how to debug it?
Ideas? I tried in a default system wide location or in virtualenv and
it gives the same results.

Thanks,
Lucas