[Chicago] Rain

Rob Kapteyn robkapteyn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:16:42 CEST 2008

I went to check my basement at ~8:30 AM on Saturday and it was fine,
just a small pool of water around the floor drain.
I had fashioned a very effective plug for the floor drain as a defense
against sewer backups.

Then, while I was down there - during the most intense rain, I saw
every little crack in the concrete starting to ooze water.
After about 10 minutes, all of the joints between the basement walls
and floor started gushing water.
During the next 30 minutes, the basement filled to about 6 inches.

Since I was there, I was able to save most of what was not already in
plastic bins.
Some plastic bins floated and tipped over though :-(

My floor drain plug did help considerably -- when I pulled it, I saw
black sewer water come up, so I closed it again.
After another hour, I opened the floor drain and it all drained out.

I have a big mess to clean up, at least its all rain water -- sewer
water would have been much worse.
I've been meaning to put some more dirt around the foundation of the
house -- that should stop it from happening again.

-Rob