[Chicago] There once was a cute little GIL...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 22:27:19 CEST 2009

This looks really interesting and I regret getting off the track I was
on re concurrency as David's talk was right after this one:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/03/patterns-in-python.html

My take on the matter is I hear more geeks saying "leave it to the OS
or other external process management framework and don't make Python
run threads, slim down the snake and just make a lot of 'em" (more
like 'Snakes on a Plane' which admittedly scares people, so better to
counter by thinking of it first, helps the plane fly better).

What I've been advocating re Synovate is just make the snakes compare
notes via async SQL, not Twisted exactly, but similar, make snakes
leave an audit trail, time stamps, basically cues.  Queen dispatcher
with many Worker Bees was my manga code for Patrick.  Gratifying to
learn from Lars of Mozilla that this is sort of how the Mozilla crash
analyzer works on the back end, if I understood aright.

Anyway, here's a picture of a Python on threads maybe (too greedy):

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2006/09/lunch-on-hawthorne.html
(scroll to bottom)
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2006/09/snakes-on-plane-movie-review.html
 (...on a Plane).

Hey, I know sometimes you need threads, asynch not always the answer,
just offering some perspective, feel free to shoot it down.

Back to lurking,

Kirby