[Chicago] Jython

Robert Spelich rlspelich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:31:27 CEST 2009

Python is really the only language I know. I learned it over the past year
to write script's to automate tasks and add functionality to ESRI's ArcGIS
applications. I think Python is  a really cool language and now I am using
it for web dev (non work related).
I do get the impression, perhaps I am wrong, that a lot of Python developers
also know Java or learned Java first. Is that a correct assessment?

I brought up the idea of a Jython talk more out of curiosity to see what
could be done with it. I really wasn't too hip on learning Java but to build
stand alone applications using ESRI's developer framework I have to know
Java or .NET.

-Bob

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> I think it is almost merged back now. I saw it discussed in the
> mailing list, but I haven't seen what is going on yet.
>
> very naive question: why would someone want to run java in appengine
> and then on top of that use jython?
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Steven Githens <swgithen at mtu.edu> wrote:
> > Kumar McMillan wrote:
> >>
> >> How about Running Jython on Google App Engine !
> >>
> >> (kidding)
> >>

> > Actually, when Google added Java to the supported list of platforms for
> > AppEngine they also submitted patches for Jython 2.5 so solve a few
> issues
> > so it could be used. ( I think they might be merged back into Jython core
> by
> > now ).     :)
> >
> > -Steve
> >
> >> Seriously now, +1 for a talk about Jython.

> do

> topic

> sheila

-Bob