[Chicago] Jython

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 19:05:17 CEST 2009

Woulda been someone else besides Guido as he knows me and I came to
Python through Java and APL, with a little Scheme, way more xBase.
Not dissing $Perl in any way, bless it.

Hey, on this topic of Jython, it's like Python on top of an already
well-stocked winery, as the JFC is a truly rich environment.  Take
probable primes.  For RSA encryption you want these gigantic
composites with two prime factors so where do you get those primes to
begin with?  Well, Java has had those for awhile, so maybe your write
something in Python just around this little feature, to cough up
through a generator or something.

Of course none of this is news to a lot of you.  The other news I
guess was how Sun was putting some real focus on the project, in
addition to MySQL, and that Django runs on Jython pretty well so if
you have favorite Java tricks you'd like to keep doing (custom code in
the back office someplace) maybe this is your ticket?

Kirby