[Chicago] ANN Join ChiPy on Thursday August 13, 2009 Matplotlib, best meeting ever.

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Tue Aug 11 19:25:49 CEST 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 12:00 PM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>>> Also, I'm going to be bringing my new toy to pass around:
>>> http://plugcomputing.org/
>
> I won't be there.  Can you explain why I would want one of these
> little
> beasties?

It's a full-blown (tho low powered) Linux machine in power brick
format.  What's not to love?  But seriously, so far I/we've come up
with:

MP3 stream receiver
home router/firewall/etc.
SIP phone
remote surveillance camera
interactive displays (perhaps with a mini usb touchscreen: http://www.pcworld.com/article/169951/touchscreen_added_to_mimos_usb_powered_portable_monitor.html)

I've also got this crazy idea to to take the plug, a power strip, a
battery & an inverter, and a mini projector:

http://www.mobileindustryreview.com/2009/02/mir_show_-_the_microvision_mobile_projector_-_genius.html

and throw it all in a backpack and make magic on the streets.

But yeah, I'm hoping to kick around folks ideas for such a thing.
Small is beautiful people.

--Pete