[Chicago] deployment tools

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Aug 19 17:36:18 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Milan Andric<mandric at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm working on some infrastructure and was wondering what tools people
> are using to do stuff like:
>
> 1) generate some sql and run it on a few machines/databases
> 2) generate some apache conf and install it on some machines
> 3) checkout some code from svn onto a server
>
> I'm trying to automate this a little bit and before I go too far with
> my shell scripting I thought I'd ask around.  Each time there is a new
> project there is about 15 monotonous steps that need to be done that
> are nearly identical and error prone.

at last weeks ChiPy meeting there was a talk on bcfg2

"""
Bcfg2 helps system administrators produce a consistent, reproducible,
and verifiable description of their environment, and offers
visualization and reporting tools to aid in day-to-day administrative
tasks. It is the fifth generation of configuration management tools
developed in the Mathematics and Computer Science Division of Argonne
National Laboratory.
"""

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2/

In a day or 2 I will be posting the video of that talk, I'll drop the
URL here when it is up.

--
Carl K