[Chicago] Capistrano alternatives

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 5 02:25:24 CET 2009

Martin Maney wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 05:11:48PM -0600, Jason Huggins wrote:
>> fan of.) My fear/rant was that Fabric-based build scripts would also
>> need to be GPL'd since they depend on Fabric. However, after reading a
>> section of the Free Software Foundation's GPL FAQ [1], I feel slightly
>> more safe in thinking that Fabric-based build scripts are considered
>> "data" to the Fabric program in this scenario. Therefore, Fabric-based
>> build scripts are *not* bound by the GPL. Do others agree? (I hope
>> so!)
>
> If this actually matters to you, then I sincerely hope you ask a
> lawyer.  The devil is indeed in the details...

Lawyers are bullshit.

The ABSOLUTE WORST CASE is that the developers of Fabric will be annoyed
that you are using their code in a closed source system, and they'll ask
you to open your code or stop using Fabric.  If you are a jerk about it,
then you might also burn some social capital.  That's all you risk, and
if you ask the Fabric people up front how they interpret the GPL then
you don't even risk that.  Any other prediction is simply false.

Lawyers probably won't tell you this, which is why you shouldn't ask a
lawyer.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org