[Chicago] PYPI source code?

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 17:51:08 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Cosmin Stejerean <cosmin at offbytwo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering if there is a source code for PYPI interface?

yes, it is all here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev
I've poked around the source a bit for a [now deceased] pet project of
mine: http://pypi.appspot.com/

>> What I would like to do is create something similar to pypi but with
>> special projects. Instead of people uploading it to pypi they would
>> upload it to "myPyPI" but this would be highly selective package

There is a project made just for you!  It is a turbogears app called
EggBasket http://chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/ and I've played
around with it some.  We run something similar at work (hand rolled)
that pre-dates EggBasket but eventually I hope to replace ours.
EggBasket does exactly what you want and I think the lightning talk
Cosmin mentioned was on this topic.

>> 1. Is there a source for PyPI?
>> 2. What do I need to do to run it on my server?
>> 3. How can I have same functionality as python setup.py register  aka
>> python setup.py register myPyPi (or something along these lines?)

EggBasket requires turbogears and supports the register command

-Kumar