[Chicago] Fwd: TP brainstorming/design/hacker jam

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Jan 21 19:08:47 CET 2009

Talking Points is a project a group at umich in Ann Arbor is working
on. They're prototyping and studying devices to provide POI (points of
interest) information for blind users. Their earlier prototype was a
java app, and used bluetooth discovery to get MACs to lookup some data
from a webservice.

I saw an article about them in ACM TechNews, and after following links
I saw that they were open to volunteers. and that they were making the
code (at least the prototype?) visible to the world.

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=6737
http://talking-points.org/

Their blog is stale, but it will likely start up again soon now that
they have an influx of students for independent study research.

They are going with pyS60 on the nokia platform. yay. hence I thought
some of you (perhaps Feihong) might be interested in going, and at
least mentoring for a day.

(I tend to collect speculatively related bookmarks or refs at
http://delicious.com/shekay/talkingpoints )

rambling...

I'm interested in accessibility and technology (actually, with more of
a bent towards assisting with cognitive problems, but this was
interesting in that I had been thinking of wayfinding and memory aids
for POI for people with memory and/or concentration/attentional
problems (age related or otherwise)). but, being as I have no grad
experience in this field, I am doubtful that I'd ever find gainful
employment as a research programmer*, so open source it is. (though do
any of you remember pycon 2007 lightning talk by the guys in Coloroda
who were designing apps, like an email app, for users with cognitive
disabilities? that ws a commercial thing, iirc, not research, but
whatever)

* but if anyone is hiring in anything like this let me know. I have
two BS degrees, in CS, and in Psychology. I tended towards
biopsychology and cognitive stuff, avoided clinical and fluffy stuff,
and hung out and assisted in a memory & cognition lab at school doing
experiments on people. (didn't see anything like this last time I was
thinking of finding a new job, and I don't feel like bothering to find
a new job unless it's a complete paradigm shift from what I'm doing
right now, barring other factors.)

** I tend to collect completely speculative bookmarks on this
http://delicious.com/shekay/cognitive+to.speculate

or thereabouts. I tend to save cognitive+prostheses &c.

sheila