[Chicago] IDEs

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Jul 2 00:22:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 01:45:04PM -0500, Garrett Smith wrote:
> I do a lot of work on headless servers (no GUI), so I'm pretty much
> limited to either Emacs or VIM, or develop on the desktop and move JAR
> files around the network (pain) in to use Eclipse (which, IMO, has

If you can run anything you want on the server, X will very happily use
your (local) GUI display with (remote) applications.  Not so good over
the public internet, but very usable on a LAN for many things.
Alternately, I've sometimes used sshfs to mount an ad-hoc part of the
remote filesystem locally so that local GUI programs could directly
access the files.  sshfs may only be available on Linux, still (it
needs fuse at your end and ssh/sftp access to the remote).

--
Slashdot: confirming Sturgeon's Law, 24x7