[Chicago] John Hunter at Future ChiPy Meeting

Chad Glendenin chad at glendenin.com
Tue Jul 21 21:34:54 CEST 2009

Maybe we should try to find a local college to host the meeting, so
that we could encourage more students and faculty in the area to stop
by for the presentation. Even though I'm not actively doing the
academic thing at the moment, I still have the lingering ambition of
getting scientists to stop using proprietary software,[1] which means
convincing them to let go of MatLab.[2]

There are Python-friendly folks at the Univ of Chicago that we could
probably convince to help us find some space there, but if I remember
correctly from the days when Ted, Michael, the Humanized guys, and
other UofC people made up a bigger force within ChiPy, we still never
managed to convince the rest of you to make the trek to the South
Side... But let me know if you're interested, and I'll ask around.

ccg

[1] Maybe I'm a zealot, but I think that the closed, anti-sharing
philosophy of proprietary software is antithetical to the philosophy
of openness that is fundamental in science.

[2] It seems that they like MatLab for two reasons: (1) the language,
which includes syntactic sugar for things like vector and matrix
operations, and (2) graphing. For (1), we have Octave to replace the
language, but I'd rather bring people into the Python community, and
for (2), matplotlib.