[Chicago] IDEs

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Tue Jun 30 21:02:25 CEST 2009

Garrett Smith wrote:
> ----- "Brian Ray" <bray at sent.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Allan Spale wrote:
>>

>>> +1 for Eclipse (desktop editing)
>>> +1 for Emacs (remote editing)
>>>
>>> I would be curious to know if there is a nice open source GUI
>>> builder for Python (regardless of widget toolkit) that is not buggy.
>>>

>>> Eclipse integration would be very nice.
>>>
>> I am not sure if you looked it wxPython at all. But it also has some
>> GUI builders that generate code or uses mozilla-ish xml to dynamically
>> build gui. I used wxWidgets for some commercial products so it really
>> is not buggy if you know what your doing; however, it was the C++
>> interface. Moving to the Python wx from there made life really easy.
>>
>> If I would have gone straight to wxPython I think I would have gotten
>> extremely frustrated (as many do) because the API does not really read
>> that easily.  QT is also really nice.
>>
>> Concerning IDE's
>>
>> +1 Komodo
>> +1 VIM
>>
>> I also tried Netbeans Python Beta recently which did a really good job
>> at some stuff; although, I unsure about how well the debugger works.
>> I just did not have enough time to play around with it.
>>

> I do a lot of work on headless servers (no GUI), so I'm pretty much
> limited to either Emacs or VIM, or develop on the desktop and move JAR
> files around the network (pain) in to use Eclipse (which, IMO, has
> become an outstanding IDE over the years).
>
> I've been using VIM, but Emacs is the clear editor of choice for Erlang
> development, which I'm doing more of. And since Emacs has pretty deep
> support for everything else, I'm gonna make the switch.
>
> We'll see how the Java stuff goes. As far as Python, the basic
> python-mode is already an improvement over what I was using in VIM.

You might want to check out eclim too.  It connects/integrates Vim to a
headless Eclipse ( or headed, or embedded editor )
and get the same sort of Java autocomplete and refactoring stuff via
regular Vim stuff (like ctrl-n ).

I think it's pretty flexible, so it might be able to harness PyDev and
other Eclipse plugins as well.

http://eclim.sourceforge.net/

-Steve