[Chicago] Fwd: March meeting

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Mar 5 06:00:06 CET 2009

Steven Githens wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
>> Brian Ray wrote:

>>> because you liked Sully's right?
>>
>> I still do like Sully's, but I would be happy with any place that had
>> similar amities.  Top of the list for me is the compromise between
>> public transportation and for those of us (me) driving in with lots of
>> stuff I need to carry.   Depaul is a pain to drive to, a pain to park
>> near, and a pain to pay for parking, and a pain to carry gear up to.
>> I will pretty much have to bring someone to help, and that isn't easy
>> to come by.  I just asked someone for help:  "no, I'm not committing
>> to anything right now."
> With average ChiPy attendence being well over 20 people lately I'm
> pretty sure someone can always help you carry stuff, regardless of what
> venue we're in.  My Megabus usually gets in to Union Station around
> 5:15, I could definitely help next Thursday.

I try to get there about an hour early.  I really only need about 30 min, but
every single time there is some hurdle that chews up time.  JavaScrip (at
another depaul) gave me a room with 4 outlets: 2 on the sage, one in the very
back of the room (way too far for the 35' cables I had) and one by a security
camera on the ceiling, took me a good 5 or 10 min of making sure I hadn't missed
anything, then invaded the security cam.  (Yeah, "extension cord" is now on my
equipment list.)  and longer ethernet cable, and a bunch of other crap that ends
up being more than I can carry. (sucks, cuz what I end up using I can probably
carry by myself, but the 'just in case' stuff screws me.)  and then there was
the time I forgot to bring a power strip.  that made me want to cry.

So someone will need to make a point of meeting me where ever I figure out to
park (unreasonable, given I have no clue where I will park), or I need to pick
them up and park.     doable, but not quite the same as running into the room 10
min before it starts saying "I need help."

If you can meet me at Washington and Jefferson (2 blocks N and W of the N end of
Union Station)  around 5:30, that would be great.  (something tells me my last
objection is as effective as my first.  oh well, no puppies will die.)

packing up is much different, no deadline and lots of help, so no problem if you
need to leave early.

>> Then there's the food and drink situation, which pretty much has no
>> room for compromise: one place has everything, one has nothing.
> Last time we hung at Massimo's pad I think we had pizza and half of the
> people brought in food from establishments within a 1.5 block radius.
> Granted we didn't drink any alcoholic beverages during the actual
> meeting ( maybe we should get the Institute of Design to host :p ), but
> it was pretty easy to go out afterwards ( and beforewards :p ).
> Variety is the spice of life...
>>
>> If you want a change of venue, come out to Rosemont.  I'll be happy
>> with that too.
>>
> ... as long as it's not waaay out in Rosemont.  :p

Is there a part that isn't?   im pretty sure it's surrounded by nothingness, so
no one can be close to it, and I don't think anyone lives there.  weird place.

> ( Kidding! (sort of) The meeting we had during PyCon out there was sweet).

I think the fact that we were there takes the edge off it.  I probably live
closer than anyone, and I don't like going there.

Carl K