[Chicago] Fwd: March meeting

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Mar 5 20:50:58 CET 2009

Garrett Smith wrote:
> ----- "Brian Ray" <bray at sent.com> wrote:
>> I propose we take Massimo up on his offer to host for March
>
> As much as I love a good debate with Brian,

I love a good debate with anyone.  I'll even settle for a crappy one.

> I agree with him that
> venue variety is good for Chipy.

But you also must agree that too much variety is no good, like Rosemont, or that
dePaul room that was under the El.  Nice room, but the noise was pretty bad.  Or
lets get a generator and hang out on lower Wacker drive.

 > In particular, if someone is generous
> enough to offer a space, we should tend to accept as a matter of
> politeness -- even if the space isn't "optimal".

Sully's offered first.

> And if someone is generous enough to extend a permanent home to
> Chipy -- complete with mahogany bar, personal chef and service
> elevators -- I'd still favor moving it week to week. I think that
> approach has yielded a complementary stream of attendee and speaker
> variety that we'd have missed had we stayed in one place.

I have been attending another group that has a similar demographic to chipy.
they make a point of not moving the meeting around.  The fact that no one has to
put any effort into "where is the meeting?" (both securing a venue, and figuring
out where to attend) seems like a plus.

The speakers will go where ever the meeting is.  heck, most of the time they
just say "I'll talk about foo" before we have figured out where to meet.  I
really doubt anyone would say "I'll pull my talk if we are meeting at Sully's
again."  Same with attendees.

I will admit there is a charm in seeing new places.  It's kinda like taking a
vacation.  Oddly enough this is why I didn't want PyCon to come to Chicago.  I
wanted to go somewhere new.  But we are talking about meeting rooms, not
tropical islands or arctic adventures.  new and different meeting rooms don't
excite me.

> And for those of you, like me, who are apprehensive about not having a
> bar at hand -- you can get serviceable flasks at Binny's for $1.99.
> Seriously -- $1.99!

Looks like I have enough labor to bring an ice chest too.  for my supplies that
need to stay cool, like the superconductor ma-jigger.

Carl K