[Chicago] Fwd: March meeting

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Mar 5 23:11:39 CET 2009

Ted Pollari wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
>> I have been attending another group that has a similar demographic to
>> chipy. they make a point of not moving the meeting around.  The fact
>> that no one has to put any effort into "where is the meeting?" (both
>> securing a venue, and figuring out where to attend) seems like a plus.
>

> Then ChiPy's long standing habit of moving around brings good balance to
> your life...
>
> More importantly, however, rarely has it seemed like we were really
> having to work extra hard for a place to hold the meeting,

That's because someone else works extra hard so you don't have to.  It's a pain
in the ass.

> so the above
> objection doesn't seem that weighty.  Additionally, by moving it around,
> you give more people and businesses the chance to host -- some
> companies, particularly those with interests in recruiting, may see this
> as a plus, when they're hiring (so admittedly, not right now for
> most)... and that's a plus for ChiPy members as well in all sorts of
> obvious ways.

It is way more to the advantage of the company than the average member.
Those business are welcome to come and feed us.  I beg you to give any sort of
stats to backup the gain to the attendee.

in this case, we are talking about DePaul, so I don't see the relevance.

> Moving the meeting has worked well for years and I think there's little
> need to mess with what's not broken.

We missed a meeting once because we couldn't find a place.  that;s broken.

  I certainly hope Sully's is a
> frequent location as it sounds good, but as I said, if it ain't
> broken[1], don't try to fix it.

You haven't been there, and yet you argue against it.  guess you like to debate
too.  we should form a debate club.  At Sully's.

> [1] By most measures, beyond Carl's objections, it's not really all that
> broken.  We rarely have to fight to get a venue, most venues work well.
> Some venues create their own draws, i.e.: Google and apparently, Sully's
> -- but if you insist on sticking with one you'll potentially miss the
> draw of the others which may not overlap 100%.

Google has draw becuase it has e-brand recognition and high geek cred or
something.  I think that's the only venue that draws attendees.  We could of
course ask at the meeting: how many of you are here because it was at DePaul?

Carl K