[Chicago] BeautifulSoup gone bad

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:31:51 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:
> Version 3.1.0 is both slower and less robust than the previous release
> because it has changed to be usable in Python 3.0.
>  http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/3.1-problems.html

I have had a lot of success with lxml.html which is an alternative to
BeautifulSoup and is many orders of magnitude faster because it uses

What's really nice is that you can use full xpath expressions on
crummy, poorly-formed HTML (the language of the Web!).  For a while
lxml was a bit unstable and hard to build on Mac but as of recent
versions I have not had any problems.