[Chicago] Python for Teachers (more agit prop)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 01:37:20 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Allan Spale <allan2600 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "Big Windy"... you's gotta work on da Chicago nicknames, my friend :)

Hi Allan --

Yeah, made that up.  Thinking of Big Apple meets Windy City = Big Windy.

"Chicago has been called the “windy” city, the term being used
metaphorically to make out that Chicagoans were braggarts."

Freeborn County Standard of Albert Lea,
Minnesota, November 20, 1892

Hey, I didn't make *that* up.  Wikipedia.

But yeah, "Big Windy" might have negatory connotations, would be
undiplomatic to dwell upon, given I'm an Ory-gO-nian
(we say Orygun, not OreGON -- rhymes with gun, not polygon, unless you
say polygun...)...

> I am interested in learning more about your ideas with Python. I am going to
> be enrolling in at a university to begin earning credit toward an
> instructional systems technology certificate. Also, I am in the process of
> building a general purpose semantic database and web services system which
> might be of some interest to your group (i.e. user-friendly web programming
> system) which will also be a programming sprint at PyCon (look up
> twitterbase: http://us.pycon.org/2009/sprints/projects/twitterbase/). I will
> also be at the conference if you have some time to talk.
>

> Allan

Yeah let's get together, introduce yourself etc., Vern has a BOF
organized, I think you can just drop by...

You'll see from the handout that I'm blending Pythonic Math with a new
kind of geometry per Bucky Fuller (b. July 12, 1895, d. July 1, 1983,
grunch.net/synergetics/bio.html ) whose work will just happen to be on
exhibit in Chicago around the same time as Pycon.

I'm planning on going (Steve Holden also into it), missed this exhibit
at Whitney in the Big Apple:

http://www.mcachicago.org/buckminster/

(have to figure out where this is, also where to stay in Chicago,
haven't reserved a room yet, mutter mutter...).

Just wanted to make that link for people, helps with the promo.

Kirby