[Chicago] fishing for talks

William Scullin wscullin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 03:48:40 CET 2009

James Snyder, Nick Romero, Massimo DiPierro and I have a tutorial
about 3.5 hours in length for Supercomputing 09 in Portland, Oregon
that we might be able to cut to fit available ChiPy meeting time. We'd
welcome any option to rehearse and any feedback on slides.

Time:
"Python for Scientific and High Performance Computing."

Content:
Introductory: 20% Intermediate: 60% Advanced: 20%

Abstract:
Python, a high-level portable multi-paradigm interpreted programming
language is becoming increasingly popular with the scientific and HPC
communities due to ease of use, large collection of modules,
adaptability, and strong support from vendors and community alike.
This tutorial provides an introduction to Python focused on HPC and
scientific computing. Throughout, we provide concrete examples,
hands-on examples, and links to additional sources of information. The
result will be a clear sense of possibilities and best practices using
Python in HPC environments. We will cover several key concepts:
language basics, NumPy and SciPy, parallel programming, performance
issues, integrating C and Fortran, basic visualization, large
production codes, and finding resources. While it is impossible to
address all libraries and application domains, at the end participants
should be able to write a simple application making use of parallel
programming techniques, visualize the output, and know how to
confidently proceed with future projects with Python.

( http://scyourway.supercomputing.org/conference/view/tut171 )

Slides:
http://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AWPA-6VEuhB3ZGd3Z3ducnhfMzJndnAyZ25kbg&hl=en

- William