[Chicago] ChiPy Planning Time

John Stoner johnstoner2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 20:44:25 CEST 2009

I'm new on the list. I haven't been to a ChiPy meeting yet, but I do
wanna go to one.

I'm also a member of Pumping Station: One, the new hackerspace in
Chicago. We can host events at our place, at 3354 N. Elston. There's
lots of interest in Python around PS1. I'm sure some of our members
would love to come to a ChiPy meeting. Having one at the space would
be an interesting meeting of organizations.

For more about us, look at

http://pumpingstationone.org/

How big are meetings? What all do you need?

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Brian Ray <bray at sent.com> wrote:
> The opportunity for this month is wide open :) Venue also!
>
> I have been playing with the idea of a Django-specific meeting.  We seemed
> to do a good job at not being solely web oriented lately; however, I also
> see where this would be a good topic for us.   I did contact one of the
> major Django Chicago people to see if they want to present sometime soon.
>
> Alternative, Tornado would be a good topic. Benchmarking also.... Like I
> said, at this point it is wide open.
>
> One note on one of the goals of this group: we really need to revisit the
> idea of presenting on something language specific each meeting.  It would be
> good if we have a 15 minute overview of any language feature, one at a time:
>
>  * generators
>  * coroutines
>  * closures
>  * metaclasses
>  * copy.copy
>  * decorators
>  * list comprehension
>  * operator overloading
>  * multiple inheritance
>  * stings
>  * types
>  * static methods
>  * exception handling
>  * lambdas
>  * keyword arguments
>  * doc strings
>  * reflection
>
> ... the point here is that we need not to forget the language features.
>  There has always been an interest in frameworks, tools, etc.. and that
> should still be the main focus; however, I recall that some of our best
> meetings in the past were about the language itself. Does anyone one to take
> one of these for 15-20 minutes at our next meeting?  First come, first
> serve.
>
> Oh yeah, do we want to find a venue? Any suggestions. I was almost thinking
> a school might be appropriate; however, perhaps harder to book at this late
> date.
>
> Brian Ray

blogs:
http://www.generosity.org/stoner/
http://boogiepants.typepad.com/
'In knowledge is power; in  wisdom, humility.'