[Chicago] Tornado, shines good on Python?

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Sun Sep 13 08:42:10 CEST 2009

Is the web server the bottle neck in web applications? My experience
is that the bottle neck is the database.

My understanding is that Tornado is not a multithreaded server. It can
accept concurrent requests but executes them sequentially for each
process. It is know that this kind of design is fast because there are
no threads but it is not appropriate for all web apps in particular
not if the requests may take time to run. It works great in "hello
world" type of benchmarks.

Another issue is that Tornado is probably using 4 python instances
thus taking advantages of the 4 cores. The Django and CherryPy are
probably not doing that because they would require a load balancer
like Pound. I doubt they did so I am not convinced they are comparing
apples to apples.

Am I wrong?

Massimo