[Chicago] Intro to Python

Carl Karsten cfkarsten at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 06:04:46 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:47 PM, William Scullin <wscullin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Carl Karsten <cfkarsten at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:32 PM, William Scullin <wscullin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So, there's a gaggle of us who are involved in a tutorial for python
>>> for scientific and high performance computing. Nick is skipping out
>>> this year to concentrate on other stuff - so I may have to see about
>>> snagging someone else who does a lot of highly scalable computation
>>> with  python - but I think I can speak for the group when I say that
>>> we'd be willing to do the whole sheboygan if there'd be enough
>>> interested parties and someone can arrange a place with two
>>> projectors
>>
>> Two?
>
> One of the things Massimo saw in terms of tutorial presentation at
> SC09 and we liked was the use of dual projectors - one with the slide
> / reference and the other with terminal and output windows. It made it
> much easier for people to follow along, especially when it was easy to
> get lost in the material.

Interesting.  I can see that working, but it reduces the venues to pick from.

>>> networking, and sustenance for about five hours this
>>> Summer.
>>
>> How does Atlanta sound?
>
> Sort of a long drive for a day tutorial. I hear they have peaches...
> but it's up to the SC presentation group as a whole or part.

JK on the Atlanta thing.  unless it is going to be a 200 person event.
  PyCon is there, so we have some pull.

>> What would you consider a minimum head count?  10? 50?
>>

> Not sure. I can handle 10-15 people one on one with hands-on stuff and
> not loose track. I think maximum and minimum headcount are a function
> of who all from the SC group is available and what material the
> audience is interested in.
>
> Got something in mind?

Monetary is nice :)

I will ponder.  I was expecting more than 10,

My .gov buddy and friends will be in schamburg June 13-17 - It might
be good to piggy back onto that event, like 3 hours one evening.

--
Carl K