[Chicago] Chicago Digest, Vol 60, Issue 26

John Jacobsen john at mail.npxdesigns.com
Mon Aug 9 20:41:54 CEST 2010

> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:48:08 -0500
> From: Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com>
> To: The Chicago Python Users Group <chicago at python.org>
> Subject: Re: [Chicago] Looking for leased server colocation (OT)
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
>

>> ? ? ? ?Disclaimer: I work on the Rackspace Cloud Servers team.
>
> Sorry if i am putting you on the spot; however, I was currious if
> Rackspace Cloud's have a Python API like the EC2 does?

Jacob Kaplan-Moss has written python bindings which have worked for me
(so far, once RSCloud got my auth issues sorted out):

http://github.com/jacobian/python-cloudservers

So far I have been happy w/ Rackspace Cloud.  IIRC the minimal server
is $0.015/hr which is about $11/month, cheaper than my current
SliceHost server and comparable in compute power (RAM, storage, GHz,
etc).

Jacob and another guy gave a Django Deployment Workshop at OSCON last
month where they deployed six or so Ubuntu servers on Rackspace Cloud
(DB, load balancer, app servers, etc.), demoed Fabric for deployment
(also cool), many other things as well, and then tore everything
down.  Total cost to them was probably less than $0.50.

John

John Jacobsen http://npxdesigns.com/contact