[Chicago] What is cloud computing good for?

Tal Liron tal.liron at threecrickets.com
Mon Aug 9 21:49:32 CEST 2010

  Hey guys,

We at crowdSPRING are moving our entire Django-based setup to the
Amazonian cloud. We make good use of EC2, S3, EBS, and RDS (a relatively
new service). Not only is it vastly cheaper than dedicated services, but
it allows us astounding scalability.

It's not trivial. We've created a large set of Bash scripts to maintain
and manage our cloud. For example, a single command can be used to spin
up a new application node -- but a lot needs to be done: create a node
and install all packages, have it join our redundant network RAID, join
our monitoring tools, re-generate configuration files (we use PyTenjin
for templating here) for our load balancer and front-end cache, restart
them, etc. The bottom line is that within 2 minutes we have a new node
behind the load balancer answering user requests. Within a few minutes
we can double our capacity.

S3 presents it's own challenges -- we've instituted direct uploads to S3
to bypass Django's standard storage API. Clients thus do not need to
interact with our app servers in order to upload large files.

If there's interest, we can give a presentation on this, though note
that there's not a lot that's Python-specific about it.

By the way, I'm surprised the discussion has not mentioned Google App
Engine at all! I would definitely count that as "cloud," and it's
absolutely the easiest path to it.

-Tal