[Chicago] Sanity Check

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Dec 2 05:04:59 CET 2010

Where I work (a trading firm), we routinely give tests to prospective
software developers and quantitative analysts.  For the most part the aim is
to understand how people approach problems, not whether they necessarily get
the correct answer.  (Some of the questions don't have one correct answer
anyway.)  In fact, we often consider candidates with no previous financial
industry experience.  In those cases if we ask a finance-oriented question
we really and truly are interested in seeing how they approach the problem.

The host goes over the test with the candidate, again, with an aim to
understand how they think.  It's not treated like a 30-minute quiz in your
college calculus class.

Skip