[Chicago] Sanity Check

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Thu Dec 2 16:59:31 CET 2010

On 12/02/2010 06:43 AM, Jason Huggins wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Peter Fein<pfein at pobox.com>  wrote:
>> Need to sanity check with a broader group... I've had a few phone interviews
>> lately, which have been followed by demands for programming tests. I am THIS
>> CLOSE: || to telling the next company that asks to shove off.
>
> The only way to avoid dancing for "The Man" is to become "The Man".
> Translated: start your own company. Then you won't have to play these
> silly games anymore. It's that simple.

Hugs, I think you've nailed it - I think much of the interview process
is unnecessarily demeaning and just there to set the stage for
longer-term abusive power relationships.

Though I've heard from two recruiters that tech hiring in the Bay area
is the busiest it's been since '99, so perhaps that'll shift. I'm not
asking to be treated like a prima dona, just don't waste my time.

Speaking of time, assuming these things take about a day each, at the
salary rate these companies are offering, that's upwards of $500/test
(let alone what it would be at a consulting rate). Does that influence
anyone's thinking?  Maybe I should take that day and write some
screenscrapers for job boards & blast out resumes instead?

> What's not simple, unfortunately, is having the requisite 2 years of
> income stashed up to survive your startup's initial trough of
> non-revenue. Once you have sufficient savings banked up, though, yes,
> tell the next company that asks to shove off.

I had that, and I've spent half of it on a year-long sabbatical.  Oops.
;-) Can't really say I regret it...

> Of course, dancing for investors is no fun either.  (So, then, it's
> even better to start your own company *and* not have investors,
> either.)

Hmm, sounds like a case for consulting or a small apps shop...

--Pete