[Chicago] desktop development

Tal Liron tal.liron at threecrickets.com
Sat Dec 4 01:02:26 CET 2010

I've done desktop GUI applications professionally for more than a
decade, and worked with almost every GUI framework you ever heard of,
from various versions of Windows, X, Java, mobile platforms, etc., and
can say that using PyGTK has been the most pleasurable dev experience in
this domain. Strongly recommend it for pure dev joy, though I know that
GTK is not easily available on all platforms.

If there's a gotcha in it, it's that it's important to learn how to work
with GTK (and any GUI framework's!) event queue. For anything but the
most trivial desktop app, you'll want to do multithreading, which will
always conflict in strange ways with the GUI framework -- things might
seem to work sometimes, but unless you're following the rules, you'll
get weird hangs, redraw issues, etc. (There are some very good reasons
for GUI frameworks being singe-threaded: read up on it if you're
interested.)

For what it's worth, I also believe that GUI and command line utilities
are Python's best domains. I do not find CPython to be an acceptable
server platform, despite its popularity in that domain.

-Tal