[Chicago] Audio spectrograms

Ken Schutte kenschutte at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 00:46:10 CET 2010

I've done a lot of work with spectrograms.  I'll paste a basic script
for it below using numpy, scipy to load a wav file, and matplotlib to
display.  I have written much more refined versions, but can't release
them publicly at the moment.

There are some variations on this, and you may want to change the
parameters I've used there - it all depends on how you want to use
them.  These parameters are fairly typical for speech analysis.  Let
me know if you have any questions.

Ken

"""
Compute and display a spectrogram.
Give WAV file as input
"""
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import scipy.io.wavfile
import numpy as np
import sys

wavfile = sys.argv[1]

sr,x = scipy.io.wavfile.read(wavfile)

## Parameters: 10ms step, 30ms window
nstep = int(sr * 0.01)
nwin  = int(sr * 0.03)
nfft = nwin

window = np.hamming(nwin)

## will take windows x[n1:n2].  generate
## and loop over n2 such that all frames
## fit within the waveform
nn = range(nwin, len(x), nstep)

X = np.zeros( (len(nn), nfft/2) )

for i,n in enumerate(nn):
    xseg = x[n-nwin:n]
    z = np.fft.fft(window * xseg, nfft)
    X[i,:] = np.log(np.abs(z[:nfft/2]))

plt.imshow(X.T, interpolation='nearest',
    origin='lower',
    aspect='auto')

plt.show()