[Chicago] Jan 14 meeting talks

Tal Liron tal.liron at threecrickets.com
Mon Jan 4 15:00:00 CET 2010

Do you happen to know anything about the GIL and Google's version CPython?

Also, I just remembered I promised to say something about the GIL and
Jython. My memory was jogged because this weekend I submitted a patch to
Jython that fixes its very broken concurrency behavior when embedded
(using JSR-223 or otherwise). La la la, another long story, and not
particularly Python-related, though I can say a few words about it if
people are interested in Jython.

Anyway, some humor for you from the Jython codebase. Here's a snippet
from the FutureFeature enum:

     /**
      * Enable the Global Interpreter Lock in Jython.
      */
     GIL {
         @Override
         public void addTo(PragmaReceiver features) {
             throw new ParseException("Never going to happen!");
         }
     },

(You would see that message if from __future__ you import GIL.)

-Tal