[Chicago] HTTP request mirroring, or splitting

Carl Karsten cfkarsten at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:28:12 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Garrett Smith <g at rre.tt> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a tool/proxy/mod thing that will direct an HTTP
> request to both a "real" and a "mirror" backend server?
>
> I want to replicate live/production traffic to test/dev server to
> simulate realistic traffic patterns. Ideally, I'd like to do this in
> real time. This scheme would proxy requests to the "real" servers,
> whose responses would go back to the client. The "mirror" server(s)
> would just get the request -- their response would be dropped/ignored.

here's a bad idea: clone the mac and IP, put them on the same hub or
switch (assuming it isn't smart enough to somehow try and fix this
brokenness.)

The packets will go to both.

you might even be able to run a proxy or some forwarding firewall like
thing on the 2nd box and forward to the test box, which would help
make sure the test box can never get an answer back to the origin.

--
Carl K