[Chicago] Python on macs

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:28:57 CET 2010

Hi Tim,
  I just use vertual env for this sort of thing, as you mention.  Setting it
up is pretty simple.  I made a few notes about it here (just basic notes):

http://jazstudios.blogspot.com/2010/01/python-virtual-env.html
The hardest part is getting the dependencies in order, once you execute the
"activate" command of the virtual env to set the paths to the virtual
instance, you can just run the setup.py or easy_install to install to
install everything you need in the virtual env.

For the last year or so on my Mac, I've also been using the macports version
of python to do a lot of my work.  macports has several versions: python2.4,
python2.5, python2.6, python3.0, etc. and all of the ports packages for each
version have a version number for the suffix.  Kind of messy, I agree, but
quick and easy (slightly easier than virtualenv perhaps).

Hope this helps,
Joe

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Tim Head <betatim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I acquired a mac yesterday and want to install python ;))
>
> While I could just download it from python.org I could be more complicated
>
> I remember reading a blog post several months (or even years??) back
> by someone explaining how he had come up with this clever way of
> having multiple versions of python installed in parallel, without ever
> interfering with the python installed by mac and using virtualenv to
> keep the installed packages nice and tidy and make it super easy to
> create quickly a brandnew sandboed python.
>
> Sounds like the holy land? Yes if only I could remember enough details
> to actually find this post again :((
>
> Does anyone on the list have an idea what I am talking about and could
> point me in the right direction or directly give some advice on python
> on mac?
>
> Thank you,
> Tim
> ps. I come from gentoo and am already badly missing portage, are
> macports and fink really the best mac can do on that front?
>
> --
> http://tim.jottit.com/

Joe J. Jasinski
www.joejasinski.com