[Chicago] Python on macs

Chad Glendenin chad at glendenin.com
Fri Jan 29 19:44:15 CET 2010

I just got a MacBook Pro that I haven't even opened yet, but in theory
it's going to be my primary workstation for Python and Django
development. Is the upshot of all the psycopg2 trouble that I should
just punt and use Mac OS X as a shiny, expensive front-end to an
Ubuntu VM? If so, is VirtualBox sufficient, or would you recommend
using one of the closed-source VMs like Parallels or VMware?

Not to get too far off topic, but while we're talking about doing dev
on Macs, what's the big deal with TextMate? I've been happily using
Vim for years, and after looking over Chris Webber's shoulder, I've
been thinking about trying to live in Emacs for a while (for smarter
indentation, org mode, emacs-client sessions, etc.), but I'm wondering
if I'm missing out on something. And whatever it is that TextMate
does, couldn't we just implement it in gedit with Python plugins? To
me, gedit looks like TextMate, except open-source and without the cult
of DHH.

ccg