[Chicago] Popen/subprocess/Poll Question.

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Thu Jul 22 22:36:44 CEST 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Samir Faci wrote:

>>> There's an Anciente Unixe command that does this very thing, named
>>> "tee".  Just sayin'
>
> sure.  tee would work.  But I have a nice logger library that adds
> those handy timestamps.. which helps me figure out when things broke

Hmm, you could dup() the child's stdout to a pipe and have the parent read off it... I think that would let you do what you're trying to.  Though that's a good bit more work, as you'd need to manage the fork/exec/etc. yourself.

If the lack of timestamps on your lines is getting you down, pipe the child's output through a simple script that prepends a timestamp (awk version: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21564/is-there-a-unix-utility-to-prepend-timestamps-to-lines-of-text)

But yeah, just use tee. ;-)