[Chicago] hadoop and python?

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Mon Jun 28 18:52:45 CEST 2010

Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> writes:

> It seems like "Cloud" computing needs some disambiguation.

Understatement of the year :)

Cloud computing is the computer industry's current buzzword baby.  Like
all buzzwords it really doesn't mean anything because everyone's
throwing their particular favorite issue/service into that bucket, to
the point where it's overflowing with only tangentally related terms.
Cloud computing more so than most buzzword buckets, even.

I really think it's a good idea if people refer to the specific
technology concepts they're advocating rather than ambiguous catch-alls.
Non-relational databases, mapreduce, on-the-fly virtualization, software
as a service... these are all very different ideas, and we're all much
better off if people actually say what they mean.

 - cwebb