[Chicago] Python and web

Jonathan Hayward christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 22:55:36 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Jonathan Hayward <
christos.jonathan.hayward at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Massimo Di Pierro <
> mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> web2py is doing well.
>>
>> We we have 1700 users on the mailing list and we have added lots of
>> features over time. We have 2-10 commits every day. Almost all of them are
>> about new features. We always managed to do so without breaking backward
>> compatibility. We are now at version 1.76.5.
>>
>> The big discussion on our mailing list these days is plugins. We have a
>> plugin system (mostly a web interface to package a subset of an app and
>> install a subset of a app). We also have a system of "components" i.e.
>> sub-model-view-controllers that work as autonomous entities and can be
>> embedded in pages via ajax. plugins usually define components (like
>> comments, tagging, etc) but can be more general that that.
>>
>> Some people are asking for new/different features. Some people want a
>> strict set of rules to make sure plugins can "plug and play" without any
>> tweaking (I agree with that). Some people want to re-factor the current
>> system and not to allow any application subset to be a plugin only
>> components. This would provide more isolation of plugins but limit what they
>> can do. Other people want web2py level plugins as opposed to application
>> level plugins. This would make plugins reusable across multiple apps but
>> would make apps not portable and introduce dependencies.
>>
>> We are moving to a new web server (Rocket).
>>
>> We have completely re-factored the Database Abstraction Layer so that it
>> is still backward compatible but much more modular and the code is cleaner.
>> It will be easy to build adapters for the various NoDBs out there. It is in
>> trunk but has not replaced the current DAL yet because needs more tests.
>>
>> What's up with you?
>>

> Right now I've been jobhunting and I may be writing a technical book soon.
> I've been continuing to write for my website. Things have been a bit quiet.

P.S. My website is at http://JonathansCorner.com/ , with an open source
section at http://JonathansCorner.com/open-source/ . The most recent posting
to the website as a whole is an akathist hymn to St. Philaret, at
http://JonathansCorner.com/philaret/ .

--
→ Jonathan Hayward, a Senior Web Developer who cares deeply about usability