[Chicago] Next Month

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Mon Mar 29 16:48:30 CEST 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:36, Carl Karsten <cfkarsten at gmail.com> wrote:

Forget me? ;-) I'm happy to go 1st or 2nd.

> Topics
> ------

0. Please Pirate: Intellectual Unproperty (or) How pirates can make the world safe for freedom and your fingers (Pete Fein)

> 1. 7:00 What's coming up in 2.7 (Brian Curtin)
>
> Details
> -------
Information is *already* free! Renounce your rights!

Please Pirate is an alternative to copyright and other forms of IP.

The complexity of IP law limits effective copyright to those able to afford an expert legal team (think: RIAA). The resulting legal uncertainty is an impediment to innovation, communication and the creation of new work. When releasing work under Please Pirate, an author encourages the audience to share, distribute, remix, etc.. This gains the broadest possible reach and frees the audience from legal risks of copyright violation.

This talk will discuss the legal, economic and cultural costs of copyright, explain Please Pirate, and compare it to other open licenses (esp. Creative Commons/BSD and the public domain). I’ll also cover how Please Pirate operate in practice: ethics in the absence of law, bridging the material and digital worlds and why you should release your content under Please Pirate.