[Chicago] start meeting with "intro to Python"

Carl Karsten cfkarsten at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 18:14:08 CEST 2010

The idea wasn't to go though the tutorial but show how low the hump
is.  but I do agree that there may not be enough or even any interest.

And I totally agree that short little "how to do something that is
simple once you know how" talks are great.

"Using SWIG to call a C library" - I personally wold like to see that.
 I have tried, and had no clue what I was doing, wasn't sure what I
was looking at in the way of results, so I gave up.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Phil Robare <verisimilidude at gmail.com> wrote:
> That assumes that we have enough people coming (or watching online)
> that have never seen Python.  Rather than going through the tutorial
> maybe we could have short, focused talks on basic use of specific
> libraries, and hit basic Python abilities along the way.  Suggestions
> for topics could be "Regular Expressions: Perl vs Python", "Calling a
> database from Python", "Using SWIG to call a C library".  For people
> who do these things they are low level and simple, for the rest who
> have never had a reason to do them they create a short stumble when we
> first try them.
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
>> Would anyone object to starting the meeting with 10-20 minutes of
>> showing Python to people who have never seen it?

Carl K