[Chicago] 2 talks

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Nov 2 05:47:07 CET 2010

Here is what I plan to send out once I confirm Pizza at 7:45.  how's it look?

ANN: ChiPy at ita Thu November 11, 7p

ChiPy
=========================

When: 7 PM Thursday November 11, 2010
Where: ITA

This will be our Best Meeting Ever!

Topics
------
 1. 7:00 Mako and Cherrypy (Michael Mileusnich)
 2. 8:00 Tox (Kumar McMillan)

Details
-------

1. Mako and Cherrypy
Michael Mileusnich
using Mako combined with Cherrypy to create a Python web server,
passing data back and forth, and some javascript issues with certain
browsers.

2. Tox
Kumar McMillan
http://codespeak.net/tox/

It's a great new open source tool that helps you support all versions
of python with your existing automated tests.  It's not a test runner,
it's a super test runner runner!  Or something.  There is no easy way
to describe it which is why the front page of the website is sort of
confusing, IMO.

We use tox on the Nose project to make sure each code change doesn't
break the tests in Python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0 or Jython.  Not
everybody targets so many environments but if you want to maintain a
widely used module then you probably will want to use tox someday.

Here's our Hudson matrix setup w/ tox:
http://hudson.testrun.org/job/nose-unstable/ (we just set this up
recently which is why most builds were broken in one or two envs)

I can also spend some time going over how we are currently maintaining
a test suite that runs in both 2.x and 3.x simultaneously

Location
--------
Illinois Technology Association (ITA)
200 S. Wacker Drive
15th Floor
Chicago, IL 60606

312.435.2805
http://www.illinoistech.org

Metra: exit on Adams St, walk East across the bridge, first door on the right.

Show your ID to security.  Be on the list or they will be sad.
http://chipy.org/FrontPage#sign-up

About the group
carries no obligation. Nor does showing up at the meetings. Nor, at
least so far, does anything else we have done, although we always
appreciate it when our presenters show up. (They usually do!)

http://chipy.org

--
Carl K