[Chicago] Template Document

Samir Faci samir at esamir.com
Tue Nov 2 19:47:53 CET 2010

Well.. I'm not sure if this would be useful or not.. I have to look at
this in a bit more detail.

Also.. when I said identi.ca, I mainly mean a status.net local
install.  I'm not posting anything that's public.

http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/wiki/ThirdPartyAddOns  This is the
more interesting tool I've ran across so far.

Mainly it seems to support a stnadard format and lets you generate
code based on that.  So I could in theory write once... and allow the
same file
to be used in C++, .NET, python... uhmm.. D, Mercury (?? Mercury is a
language?) Anyways.. wiki has full list.. but supports every language
under the sun.

I was also, figured if I'm putting that much work.. I might as well
open source it... since its not doing anything really specific to
internal workflow.

it's parsing the identi.ca API.. extracting dents based on time
parameters, formatting the content,  pushing them out to the
appropriate mailing list specified.

--
Samir
PS. no idea if protobuf even remotely does what I want.. but it seemed

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Samir Faci <samir at esamir.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Question 1
>
>> I could probably write a very simple one on my own.. just wondering if
>> there was any pre-existing technology / standard that I should look
>> at.
>
> I don't know of a standard or of a tool that does this for you, so I
> think you have to write it yourself. If you work at a large company,
> other people are probably annoyed and may have written things to do
> this too, so you should ask on internal back channels to see if anyone
> has. you might get lucky.
>
> IMO
> if you have to do it yourself, don't get too formal about what goes in
> there. I'd be very lazy and go as unstructured as possible and use
> something like <your favorite thing that is essentially a dictionary>.
> post the data somewhere via <your favorite protocol>, then when you
> need the report, GET it and yay.
>
> maybe you don't have to use identica or something, maybe you could use
> something that talks jabber over an internal jabber network? or
> whatever. some people might want the traffic to be only internal.
>
> anyway...
> I'm handwaving since I never was lazy enough to actually go through
> the effort to design something.
>
> if you find out something exists and is sharable, please point me to it.
>

> --
> sheila

Samir Faci
*insert title*
fortune | cowsay -f /usr/share/cows/tux.cow