[Chicago] 2 talks

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Thu Nov 11 21:01:08 CET 2010

On 11/11/2010 09:10 AM, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> Yeah, it's a pretty bad chicken and egg problem -- no one wants to
> port until all their dependencies have ported and so begins the spiral
> of doom.  I actually have been looking at the state of the top level
> packages that most modules depend on and most of them do support
> Python 3 by now even if it's in some forked bitbucket repo or
> wherever.

In theory, 2to3 and 3to2 are supposed to help with this... though
there's still a motivation problem. I think a lot of packages will never
get ported, and just fade away. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO.

How does the packaging around this stuff work? Do you create different
names on PYPI for 2 vs. 3? Run 2to3 in your setup.py?

--Pete