[Chicago] modifying xml ?

Phil Robare verisimilidude at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 04:21:26 CEST 2010

xslt was a technology invented to do just this sort of processing.  I
think it didn't catch on as well as it should have because the code
for the program is also written in XML.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
     xmlns:xsl="http:http://www.w3.ort/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xsl:output method="xml">
<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:for-each
select="InsuranceSvcRq/PersAutoPolicyQuoteInqRq/PersPolicy/PolicyNumber">

... and so on.  The idea is you have two xml documents and data from
one is inserted into the other. I haven't done anything with it in
Python (or even know if there are any libraries), but in Java you can
make calls out to java routines to pass in selected elements and pass
back replacements.  Modern browsers have xslt built in and can do the
transformation client side (again, know it works, haven't done it).
Like most coding, once it works its magic.

What you've outlined seems perfect, trying to do much elaborate stuff
gets you tripping over the XML format in the code.

Phil