[Chicago] [ChiPy-announce] talk 11/11

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 02:46:26 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> Hello ChiPy!
>
> Who wants to entertain the group with their python know how on Nov 11?

moving to the discussion list! ;)

I could perhaps be persuaded to give an introduction and demo to tox:
http://codespeak.net/tox/

It's a great new open source tool that helps you support all versions
of python with your existing automated tests.  It's not a test runner,
it's a super test runner runner!  Or something.  There is no easy way
to describe it which is why the front page of the website is sort of
confusing, IMO.

We use tox on the Nose project to make sure each code change doesn't
break the tests in Python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0 or Jython.  Not
everybody targets so many environments but if you want to maintain a
widely used module then you probably will want to use tox someday.

Here's our Hudson matrix setup w/ tox:
http://hudson.testrun.org/job/nose-unstable/ (we just set this up
recently which is why most builds were broken in one or two envs)

I can also spend some time going over how we are currently maintaining
a test suite that runs in both 2.x and 3.x simultaneously.  Is there
any interest in all this?

-Kumar