[Chicago] vinlib package available

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Sep 24 17:50:24 CEST 2010

yes on the port, not sure if that is the project, looks more comercial
than what I remember, but that was over 3 years ago, so who knows.

anyway, I did correspond with a guy who was into cars, python and
helping. did a quick email search, didn't' find anything.  If in a
month you still don't have any leads, I'll dig more.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Steve K <lister-chipy at guide.chi.il.us> wrote:
> I may be mistaken, but I believe what Carl is referring to is the ODB-II
> port and the project is pyODB (http://www.obdtester.com/pyobd).
>
> - Steve
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:11:30AM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/vinlib/
>> >

>> > vinlib is a Vehicle Identification Number Package that allows you to
>> > verify and decode parts of the vin number.
>> >
>> > Currently it can:
>> > 1) vinlib.check_vin will return whether the entered vin number is
>> > authentic/correct.
>> > 2) decode function coming soon. If anybody has a list of vin to make
>> > or vin to model references please let me know.
>>
>> I bet a good source is the guy that makes the python interface to
>> the... um.. the thing that plugs into the diagnostic plug usually
>> located under the steering column.
>>
>> and I bet he would want to know about what you are doing.
>>
>> --
>> Carl K

> Future Perfect: A term w hich has been abandoned since it was
> discovered not to be.
>                                                        -- Douglas Adams

Carl K