[Chicago] Morningstar, Inc. is Looking For an Experienced Python Developer

Maxwell Friedman MAXWELL.FRIEDMAN at morningstar.com
Wed Apr 6 18:49:32 CEST 2011

Morningstar, Inc. Data Division is looking for an experienced (6+ years
preferred) developer with good knowledge of Python, to work on projects
involved with our data collection infrastructure.  The position would be
working some cutting edge technology like Cassandra, ZeroMQ, and Disco
and we are looking for someone who can work with and lead development on
some of our core infrastructure.

The job description, link to the posting and to apply is below.
Morningstar is one of Forbes 2011 100 Best Companies to Work For
<http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2011/full_list/> .

-Max

Posting, please apply here.
<http://corporate.morningstar.com/us/asp/subject.aspx?xmlfile=190.xml&fi
lter=HR1617>

Application Developer, Global Funds

U.S.A.

The Area: The Data division is responsible for collecting and
maintaining data on approximately 370,000 investments, including stocks,
mutual funds, and similar investment types. We also provide
institutional clients with investment data solutions such as Licensed
Data, one of Morningstar`s largest business lines.

The Role: In this role, you will collaborate with project managers,
quality assurance analysts, and developers to build technology solutions
for Morningstar`s Global Funds database infrastructure. This position is
within the Global Funds business unit and is based in our Chicago
office.

Responsibilities
+ Drive the development of a new data collection platform using open
source technologies.
+ Participate in every phase of development, from a project`s start
through its release, while thoroughly documenting the process.
+ Build software enhancements, troubleshoot problems, and correct
software defects.
+ Maintain quality by establishing and enforcing Morningstar`s
development standards.
+ Deliver successful data releases to platform users.

Requirements
+ A bachelor`s degree in computer science or an engineering field; a
graduate degree is strongly preferred.
+ A minimum of four years of prior programming experience.
+ Effective programming in Python, MySQL (queries, schemas, stored
procedures, views, triggers, and best practices), C/C++, Java, and XML
in a Linux environment.
+ Familiarity with natural language processing software (NLP) is a plus.

+ Experience with configuration management, script languages, networks,
web programming, and non-traditional database technology is desired.
+ Strong coding and documentation habits are essential, as is the
ability to thoroughly consider and make thoughtful recommendations on
all analysis, design, implementation, and troubleshooting issues.