[Chicago] Job opening: Trading Technologies - Senior Software Quality Engineer

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Wed Apr 13 21:04:59 CEST 2011

I have some consulting job for some trading company in the past. The owners wanted to automate a trading strategy which - according to them -  was very clear in their minds and their historical positions according to the strategy was documented. Turned out their documentation was one blurry screenshot taken the week before. They had no quantitative measure to base their decisions on. The owners could agree among themselves whether to buy or sell given the same information. Yet they expected the computer to be able to be "smart enough" to be take those decisions. No need to say the strategy was empirical, mostly based on luck, and had not theoretical foundation.

I have seen this pattern in more than one place but not only in the financial industry. There are a lot of people in the world who think there is a tiny  leprechaun in the computer who magically knows how to solve their problems. It is just that we do expect to find these people in places that have a reputation for making lots of money. The fact is, there is a lot of these people, everywhere.

Massimo