[Chicago] free computers

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Aug 30 21:30:50 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Massimo Di Pierro
<mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> I have some friends who are giving away 8 racks of 32 U1 modules in the Chicago area.
> They were purchased in 2005 and as far as I know are fully working.
> Each module has:
>
> 1U form factor
> 3.2 GHz hyperthreaded dual Xeons
> 2GB memory
> two 10/100/1000 ethernet ports
> two small, 20-80 GBytes, disks.
> 1.7 A current draw
> Mounted 32 per rack with sliders.  Racks are 36" deep.
> Power from Cyclades PM10 PDUs
>
> If anybody wants a rack and can arrange for transport, please contact --- redacted ---;
> They are not giving away pieces, the basic unit is the rack.

I leave tomorrow morning, come back Sep 19.  I would put one or 2 in
my basement, and give Alex ssh access.  I may use them for encoding
now and then.   Once I come back, I can arrange transportation, or if
someone can get them to PS1, or to my garrage... I can get them later.

--
Carl K