[Chicago] ChiPy North Venue found

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Tue Feb 15 17:39:40 CET 2011

Don't make location/timing changes on my account, because I can't make
the meeting this Thursday (have something downtown) and will hopefully
be on vacation next month, but for the future meetings, I'd love
anything between Libertyville and Antioch, as I work out of Lake Villa
(in between the two.)

I suspect Antioch is too far north to attract many people.  But...if we
weren't opposed to ordering a few glasses of wine, I could probably get
a favor from Catbridge Cellars in letting us use the 'long room' side of
their store for our space, as I suspect they aren't too busy on a
Thursday night.  They might also be fine with us ordering some
appetizers from David's Bistro next door also.

Libertyville seems like a good, centralized location for a
mid-Lake-County ChiPy meeting in my book, if we can find a spot to meet
there.  If we find a spot downtown Libertyville, the folks from downtown
Chicago (or anywhere along the line) could take a 60-minute train ride
and walk a block or so from there.

For what it's worth, I've seen non-profit/volunteer groups meet at the
Panera in Round Lake Beach.  They have a room with doors we could close
during the meeting and they take/require reservations for that room.  I
would think other Panera locations might have something similar.  I
believe this Panera lacks plentiful power outlets, but they might have
the meeting room setup with enough of them - I can look, if there is
interest.

Grayslake has CLC - (Community) College of Lake County - and I would
think this a) would be a great location in terms of outlets, wifi, etc.,
but I'm not sure what their policy/cost is for non-profits reserving a
space.  Perhaps their CS department has an ACM chapter or some CS org
for students we could coordinate with in order to not only reserve a
room, but accidentally turn onto Python.

Anyone have contacts at CLC?  If we could work out a free arrangement, I
think there are a lot of benefits of having it there, especially
attracting new Python developers.

-Ken