[Chicago] Opportunity for Django Learning

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 03:18:38 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in an interesting temporary situation, and want to learn more about
> Django.
> Here's the deal: I could either come out or remotely pair with someone on a
> Django app. I might slow you down a little at first, but I'm an experienced
> programmer
> and an experienced Python programmer so I should pick up fast.

Hi Tim.

I used to pair and it was a lot of fun.  I'm afraid I'm a little too
busy at work these days to set aside time for pairing but there is an
open source Django app I work on that you [or anyone] could help out
on, if interested.  It has some good instructions for getting a dev
environment set up so I think you'd learn it pretty fast on your own.
It has a fairly good test suite so you wouldn't have to worry too much
about breaking things.

It's a couple of web apps that in-studio DJs use while on the air at
http://chirpradio.org/
hosted here http://code.google.com/p/chirpradio/

Getting started docs:
http://code.google.com/p/chirpradio/source/browse/docs/DeveloperGuide?r=caa7259130e5e3a89dd20991fefbdc74e996ca3b

Here is the low hanging fruit: small, bite size bugs:
http://code.google.com/p/chirpradio/issues/list?can=2&q=label%3ABitesize

I can code review your patches!

The DJs who use the software are really enthusiastic about it.  There
is a DJ Database in the works too that lets DJs review albums, read
other reviews, and plan out their on-air show by setting some tracks
aside in a "crate."  We also want to add some social features so that
DJs can follow the activity of other DJs and discover new music for
their shows.  There is currently some Last FM integration too.

Kumar