[Chicago] HTTP server compliance test suite

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Jan 7 22:20:21 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You might take a peek at some of Apache's testing software:
>>>
>>> http://httpd.apache.org/test/
>>
>> Does anybody want to present on automated protocol compliance and server
>> testing stuff at next weeks meeting (next Thursday at ITA)?
>>
>> Personally, I am a bit more interested in automated testing RESTful web
>> services. Nonetheless,  I would appreciate anything in this area.
>
> I will ask around at work to see if anyone would like to give a talk on it.
>
>> On a side note, the meeting is shaping up nicely and we will have a robot
>> demonstration and ROS stuff. Carl will also present his solution and get all
>> the answers he needs to roboticly deploy his architecture. Robotic web
>> testing may be fun.
>>
>> Best meeting ever. I will most likely send out the announcement Tuesday. All
>> robots are welcome to attend.
>
> speaking of which, people at work here use the robot testing
> framework. which is written in python.
>
> I've played a little with it and I don't enjoy writing the test files
> for it, but I guess I won't knock it too much.

About an hour ago I got all my bits and pieces working together.

Results (and history) is checked into
http://gitorious.org/vms/vms

I could use 2 flavors of review:
A) read and comment on what I am doing
B) git clone and do what the README says:
"1. install qemu   2. read pinax_deploy.txt    3. run ./run.sh"
Should be that easy.  Takes about 20 min, and only a min or 2 of typing stuff.

The goal was to be easy to understand.  but in trying to get
everything working the docs of how it works got a bit messy.

I think this is the first step to using Fabric or something. But I
think the details of what is being done are more interesting than how
they are done.  and I am out of time for learning something by next
Thurs.

--
Carl K